The Benedictines have been serving God and his Church for over 1500 years! The order was founded in Italy in the 6th century by a young man named Benedict, at a time in history when ungodliness and a lack of faith and morals permeated the culture.
In 1852 a group of Benedictine women from Bavaria, Germany (a region from which Pope Benedict XVI came) founded a monastery at St. Mary’s, Pennsylvania. Mother Benedicta Riepp is the foundress of the monastery of these early pioneers.
As the community of sisters grew, branch houses were founded in various parts of the United States. One was in St. Joseph, Minnesota. Later, branch houses began in Duluth, Minnesota and in 1919 a monastery was founded in Crookston, Minnesota.
Sisters from the Mount St. Benedict Monastery, Crookston, MN established the Benedictine Monastery of the Good Shepherd in El Sauz, near Rio Grande City, Texas, as a dependent monastery in 1991. The pioneers of the Texas monastery are: Sister Frances Solum, Sister Luella Walsh and Sister Nancy Boushey.